Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Now This is Serious

I have been training for triathlons and road races for about 2 years now.  Up to this point I have just set out to get a couple swims, bikes and runs in every week.  Occasionally I make to a track workout and up until January I was involved in a weekly coached swim group.  I made progress quickly and dropped time from my first to second races.  This past winter I focused on running to get ready for the Tinkerbell Half Marathon.  For that training, I had a program that I followed.  I have followed training programs for running races before but I have yet to try one for triathlons.  My aversion was based on the notion it is challenging for me to stick to set schedules and, honestly, the programs I looked at seemed either too intense or way to too easy.

I knew that for my upcoming San Diego International Triathlon I wanted to train for the Olympic distance even though I am only signed up for the sprint.  My thought being that I can already handle the sprint distance and training longer will insure an easier race and I will be better prepared for my Olympic debut in September at Deuces Wild Triathlon Festival.  I found a 16 week program through Amateur Endurance and it is one of those that just seemed too easy.  I wise friend pointed out that shorter workouts would give me the chance to work on quality over quantity.  I thought it would be nice to have a set goal for each day so that I actually had plans and might feel more accomplished.

On Monday I started the plan.  It called for a 45 minute swim.  I used the Swim Workouts for Triathletes book and picked the Endurance Speed 1 workout.  It was a challenge.  It took me just over an hour and I still didn't finish.  My arms were sore and I felt like I had worked.  Yesterday I was supposed to spin for and hour and then do a 20 minute run.  I debated for too long between setting up my trainer and following the plan or just going to for 60 minute ride outside.  Finally decided to stay indoors and work on heart rate training.  Surprise, surprise, the work out was really hard and I could not get my heart rate to stay in the right zones.  I have serious work to do.  The run after was painful because I pushed so hard on the bike.  At the end of my 20 minute run while I was flying high on endorphins I came to some conclusions.  This training program might actually make a difference.  I have not been focused and pushing myself. I have just been going through the motions.

Today was supposed to be 60 minutes of core work and I had resolved to go to a Pilates class.  Unfortunately, I came down with a  painful sore throat last night and woke up in pain and all stuffed up.  I figure it is better to lose one day than to delay the problem.  Today I will rest.  I will rest and not feel bad about it.


“The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense.” ― Thomas A. Edison

No comments:

Post a Comment