Tuesday, May 31, 2011

New Goals, New Challenges

I am ready to go, I am ready to train, I am ready to race. Yep, yep, I am feeling super ambitious. Fresh off an excellent showing in my last race I am all set.

As soon as I finished my last race, I mentioned to one of my friends that I had seen such a huge improvement, putting me on par with my friends and training buddies, that I wasn't sure where to go from there. She said, "Two minutes off your next race." Oh, right, keep working to improve. What a concept? I spent a minute feeling like a schmuck. I got over it quickly and starting planning out what I want to do next.

Summer vacation for this kids is also up us. I am clearly a very selfish invdividual and none too excited about giving up my three free mornings every week. I am working so hard to change my perspective and try to see this forced hiatus as a gift.

So, first, here on my racing goals.

Triathlons
Firecracker Relay (I'll be on the bike) - July 3
Tri for Acts of Kindness, Sprint - Sept. 17
Tinfoilman (Tucson Tri Series), Sprint - Oct. 16
Desert Grande, Sprint - Early Nov.

Cycling
El Tour de Tucson, 66 miles

Running
Improve my 5k time through the Fall
Disneyland Tinkerbell Half Marathon, January 29, 2012

Some of these are no-brainers. In fact all to the tris fall in that category. I will continue to train, these races are mostly local, and there is no reason not to race. The El Tour is a whole different beast. I am so new to cycling and just getting my legs under me. I figure this challenge is going to let me shift my focus completely to cycling for a few months. This will be a nice change. It will be one of those self-realization moments when I cross the finish line. Much like the first half marathon I ran 10 years ago. I cried when I finished it, not from pain but from feeling self-doubt be put to rest and knowing that I could re-invent myself. This is the same sort of thing. Now, the Disneyland Half Marathon is admittedly a self-indulgent excuse to go to Disneyland with my girlfriends. There, I own it.

Lifestyle Goals

I need to get a better grip on my nutrition. I am not all that concerned with losing weight since that is a challenge that makes me feel mentally ill. I am doing a pretty good job of letting that obsession slip away. I am seeing consistent body improvement, a little weight loss, lots of new muscle. That is all good. I need to fix my nutrition. I toy with the idea of going vegetarian just because I know I would have to make better nutrition choices if I had to revamp my normal menu. Either way, I need to start incorporating my vegetables, fruits and whole grains. I need to work more consistently at avoiding sugar and empty foods. I can feel the difference in my body almost instantly.

I also want to start incorporating some cross training activities. I see weight lifting and yoga in my future. Mostly yoga though since it forces me to quiet my mind and makes me stretch my hamstrings.

Work Goals

I need to focus on getting my math course in order for the Fall semester. This will mean many hours re-teaching myself the basics of algebra. I can do it, I just don't particularly like it. BUT, teaching this course will put me one step closer to an awesome weekend away with my friends. I also need to submit my paperwork to apply for a teaching position in the Fall of 2012. I am the oppositve of interested in going back to work full time but I also know that I won't be able to justify so much free time once the kids are both in school full time.

So, I have an exciting summer planned (see, I am really trying to be happy). I want to try some new things and continue improving some stuff I've already got going. Oh, I almost forgot, I am going to start taking a camera with me when I train. I've had too many wasted photo opportunities. Particularly, yesterday I had the most awesome ride through Saguaro National Monument. I wish I had something to commemorate it. Will fix that next time.

I borrowed this picture. You get the idea though, beautiful scenery, gorgeous morning, lovely ride.


"To succeed, you need to find something to hold on to, something to motivate you, something to inspire you." -Tony Dorsett

No comments:

Post a Comment