Wednesday, May 1, 2013

The HGTV Theory

I love watching HGTV.  I could veg out all afternoon watching home renovation and house hunting type shows.  Maybe I'm just a nosey person and like to see into other people's homes.  I long ago gave up wishing for my own home renovation but I just can't turn off the HGTV.

There is one trend in all the shows I watch.  Everyone wants their "dream home" renovation.  They desire an open floor-plan, an upgraded kitchen with stainless steel appliances, and space to entertain is always a must.  More storage and that extra bathroom seems to round out the list of necessities.  They have fabulous designers/contractors on hand and usually a significant budget.  Designs are drawn up and the work begins.

It absolutely never fails that unexpected expenses pop up during the course of renovation.  It always drives me crazy when everyone is surprised to find out that the 100 year old house has plumbing/electrical/model/structural issues.  All of these things must be addressed before they can continue on with the fabulous reno plans.  Oh wait, did I mention that the budgets are already maxed out with said "fabulous design" and something must be given up in order to get the basic fixes done.  It. Never. Fails.

The homeowners are angry, disappointed, or feel like the whole project was a mistake.  And then they get to the big reveal day.  Everyone is always so happy and they can't believe it is the same house.  Sometimes they are a little let down because of the fabulous stuff they gave up to fix the roof/drainage/mold/plumbing but they know that it had to be done.

So, what does this have to do with training for a triathlon?

About six weeks ago I started to experience shin splints and calf pain.  I tried new shoes and even managed to do a fine job racing up and down Sabino Canyon.  The pain would not go away.  About 3 weeks ago I started to notice new pain in arch/heel area of both feet.  I did a quick google search and diagnosed myself with very mild plantar fasciitis.   Then I decided I had to stop running.  I gave myself a week to heel the feet the loosen up my tight calf and other lower leg muscles.  Swimming and cycling did not hurt so I was able to continue training.  Luckily I was happy with the status of my run because of the successful Sabino Canyon race.  (I should probably write a race report for that one).

On one of my cycling training rides my mind started to wander.  This is, incidentally, my sign for a great training ride.  A free mind means a functioning body.  Anyway, I was struck by how many of my triathlon friends and acquaintances seem to be in this constant cycle of healthy --> injured --> healthy --> injured.  Hopefully we are healthy when race days rolls around but it isn't always the case.  As my mind wandered I suddenly had an a-ha moment.

We are all renovating our bodies much like the home renovation shows I can't get enough of.  We start out our training with these fabulous plans to reshape our bodies, improve our speed, lose weight, and add power.  It doesn't take long before we are nursing injuries and fighting old demons.  I came to the realization that on some level we are all that 100 year old house that comes with a history, limitations and unseen obstacles.

All that valuable time and energy we budget to get us to our perfect race with the PR and perfect race pictures is instead going to be spent recuperating injuries and building a more functional base.  The whole thought made me feel better.  I didn't fret over the lost running time.  Rather, I was diligent with my stretching and icing.  Some of my calm was due having 5 weeks before my race and feeling confident in my training to that point but calm is not one of my more honed skills.

I suppose my biggest takeaway from all this philosophy is that I don't feel like a failure because of my aches and pains.  I am starting to realize that they are just part of the territory and they must be managed.

Today my legs feel fantastic.  My feet are a little tired by the end of the day but there is no pain.

Exactly one month to my big race.  I am happy with my training and little by little I feel like I am getting stronger.  We will just have to wait and see how the big reveal turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment