Saturday, July 24, 2010

Pain in the Calves

My running is suffering at this point. I was out for about 6 weeks with a lower leg injury, thanks to falling off my bike, and I just haven't been able to get my legs back. I ran 3 miles this morning but at about a mile in my calves were screaming at me. Okay, I have to admit, 3 miles is my standard run. I can run this distance without too much effort, usually, but I feel spent/accomplished when I am finished. I need to increase my mileage so that 3 is just the tip of the iceberg.

I'm also dealing with another, purely mental, problem. I always (I mean always) feel like my training is rushed. For example, this morning I had absolutely no obligations, commitments, plans beyond running. Still, while I am out there I feel this constant nag that I need to hurry up. It isn't the need to increase my speed but rather to just be finished with the workout. Legitimately there are times when I do have to be someplace and I need to cram as much into the time I have but I hold this feeling over for all my workout. When I think about it, I don't feel this weird pressure on my Sunday swim practice. It is a full hour dedicated to coached swimming and I love it. The worst part about feeling like I am always is a hurry is that once I am finished I wish I had done more. Today I just yelled at myself. I felt the urge/push to be done and literally yelled at myself, "Shut up, you don't have anywhere to be, you don't have to rush!" It seemed to help.

I suppose I need to work on loosening up my calves. I'm not sure how to do that at this point. I will stretch and make a conscious effort to work on them. I'd like to run at least 5 miles next weekend. Here's hoping.

"When your body screams, tell it to shut up"

No comments:

Post a Comment