Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Highs and Lows

It seems like my training is at a standstill. I don't know why exactly but I just feel like I am going through the motions but not getting much better. Blah.

Some positive stuff happened this past week.

I finally received my race confirmation. I am officially signed up, paid for, and good to go for my first triathlon. It will be the Tinfoilman event on October 10. I was relieved to get the notification but then the reality set in that this is really going to happen and my endurance needs to improve.

I also hammered out a decent weekend of workouts.

Some not so great stuff also happened.

I got very sick after my run last Tuesday and was OUT for all of Wednesday and Thursday. I finally made it back to the gym on Friday and got a good ride and swim in. I'm still a little congested but it is workable.

My ride on Saturday morning was enlightening in how bad it was. I am great on the indoor bike but overwhelmed, intimidated and unable to get my road bike form in any shape. I get past by everybody.

I have thyroid disease and my body is out of whack right now. I am waiting until this Friday to have bloodwork drawn and then will get to see my endocrinologist next Wednesday. I cannot wait. I am having bouts of palpitations, insomnia, and the general depressive icks. I am so frustrated with my body at this point. I feel like I work my ass off and I continue to gain weight. I just feel like no matter how hard I train, as long I am carrying around an extra 40 lbs, my times and endurance are not going to get much better. It is a self-defeating philosophy that I am stuck in. Also, in the back of my mind, I worry about how treatment is going to effect my training. I don't want to be on beta-blockers to stop the palpitations and insomnia because it will lower my aerobic capacity. If I gain weight while training I am scared silly about what will happen if I am not working out. I just don't know what to do. Hopefully my doctor will have some answers.


“Endurance is not just the ability to bear a hard thing, but to turn it into glory.” ~William Barclay

No comments:

Post a Comment