Monday, September 6, 2010

Yes, this is actuallly going to happen

I can feel the momentum building toward my race on Oct. 10. My training is going well and I've started to purchase my tri gear. I've started to have anxiety dreams about being late, not finding my transition area and other such drama. I have also started to envision what it will be like that morning, cool, early and butterfly inducing. All that being said, I feel good.

I know I won't beat anyone in the race but I do know that I can finish it. My goal is to swim without stopping, bike without falling, and run without walking. If all goes well, I will set loftier goals next time around.

This morning I had the opportunity to volunteer at a water stop for a challenging 8-mile race. My husband, Jamie, ran the race like a champ, cramps and all. I hung out with a group of super supportive, kind, and generous women. I am so happy to have found the Tri-Girls. As we watched the super competitive lead runners come through out station, more than one woman pondered, "Why do we do this to ourselves, it doesn't look like fun." No, it doesn't look like fun. I think that maybe the fun isn't really in the act of doing but in the fact of having done it. There is a sense of personal satisfaction in know that you get a goal, a goal that would require committment and perseverence and following through.

When I cross that finish line on Oct. 10 less than 2 hours after jumping into that pool, there will not be words to describe how good I will feel. I know my body will hurt and my pride a little bruised but the satisfaction of knowing that I can be an athlete will be overwhelming. It already is.

Perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did. ~Newt Gingrich

No comments:

Post a Comment